Linking Families, Building Hope
When a family hears the words, "Your child has cancer," their lives turn upside down. Keaton Raphael Memorial's Family Navigator provides families with the information, resources and education necessary to navigate the complexities of their childhood cancer journey.
Our goal is to care for the family so that their attention can be focused on their child. Keaton Raphael Memorial understands that each family and each diagnosis of childhood cancer is unique.
• Hope Chest - Case workers from five area hospitals refer families that are in severe financial distress. Our Family Navigator customizes a box of hope which includes; a personalized snuggle blanket, a variety of therapeutic and educational materials, and gifts for the sibling(s) so they are reminded that they are an important partof their family's journey. CHILDHOOD CANCER FAMILY NAVIGATOR HOPE for Children with Cancer
• Financial Support - Each Hope Chest includes a $500 check to help the family meet the additional everyday expenses related to childhood cancer diagnosis and treatment, such as travel, lodging and meals awayfrom home.
• In-Kind Services and Support - A childhood cancer diagnosis has consequences that extend beyond treatment and care for the child, to the fabric of everyday life. Our Family Navigator works with a variety of local businesses and organizations to assist families in extending their resources. Examples of recent partnerships with area businesses include those specializing in car repair, heating and air systems, appliance repair, home furnishings and property management.
• Connecting Parent to Parent - Often childhood cancer parents want to talk with other parents who have experienced the journey of childhood cancer. Our Family Navigator plays a vital role in connecting parents and providing recreational and therapeutic forums to foster interaction.
• Bereavement Resources - We are committed to healthy grieving and understand the devastation that losing a precious child can have on the entire family,we provide appropriate bereavement books and resources for all members of the family. The information is placed in a handmade wooden "Remembrance Case" that family members can store their treasured keepsakes. Our Family Navigator provides additional resources and support to the family assuring them they are not alone
in their grief journey.
Helping families navigate the frightening and confusing journey of cancer diagnosis, treatment, and survivorship or loss, is an incredible honor and privilege, but we can't do it alone. If you are interested in learning more, volunteering for our cause, or making a donation, please contact the Keaton Raphael Memorial at (916) 784-6786